Friday, April 30, 2010

Maybe I should've just numbered my posts from the beginning: they'd be easier to name.

New phone today, old one went apeshit. Some sort of divine miracle that I was eligible to upgrade very early. But. . . I learned things about myself that I sort of wish I could unlearn, in the quasi-panic brought on by that briefest interuption of cell-service. I'm not that person, I've always thought, in fact, I'm a venerable mountain man, sociality-wise. All self-delusion.

Brittany's Grandpa had a stroke today. Everyone include him in your prayers, please. He's a very good person. He is, at last notice, recovering. Recently learned stroke statistics echo in my mind, unbidden. Something like 20% of stroke victims are more or less invalid for the rest of their lives, and a much larger chunk are never. . . quite normal. By which I mean, the same. I hope she doesn't read this, but I don't think she reads my blog. I don't blame her. Prayers. Pray.

To my two loyal followers ;) sorry for the silence. It's been a busy, stressful time in my life. I've been writing some, but too little to bring me any satisfaction. But too little to make me crash, too, at least. Something I've noticed: When I write something good, I'm so fuelled and uplifted by the experience that I'm more or less on walking on air for the rest of the day, but the day after? I feel ashamed. Ashamed of not writing constantly. Of maybe letting too little of myself go. Maybe of pride. Proud of a short micro-story that's somewhat poetic but the only thing you've written in a month and the only thing you'll write for a month? Silly. Then when I lay down at night to go to sleep, in those in-between moments after sleep has teased me and now finally holds up the covers to her bed a veil is lifted and I see myself miserable, poor, and still working at fucking Wal-Mart in five years. I need this to be an addiction. I need to let myself go in it.

The few times that I've done it right: the synergy of hard work, greasy creative process, and blank paper filling up with me. It's a drug I can't get high on quite enough to get addicted to. Maybe I need to up the dose.

1 comment:

  1. I'm rather surprised to find how keenly I relate to the latter part of this post. You perfectly described the tumultuous affair a writer and his craft endure.

    I'm ever conscious of the hours slipping past, hours not spent with pen to paper. "How much did they pay you to give up on your dreams?" <--- that's a line from the movie Up in the Air. I'm terrified of waking up, 20 years from now, and finding my dreams have been exchanged for a comfortable existence at a job I despise.

    Thank you for this post. It's refreshing and motivating.

    p.s. have you ever read The Guide to Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction by Phillip Athans? Even if your aim is outside those genres, it may be worth your time.

    ReplyDelete